KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
If you need free legal aid and help with knowing your rights, please contact SAHARA and we can guide you on where to go.
The California Values Act (SB 54) ensures that no state and local resources are used to assist federal immigration enforcement and that our schools, our hospitals, and our courthouses are safe spaces for everyone in our community.
Police and Sheriffs can’t:
- Question you about your immigration status.
- Arrest you for having a deportation order or for other immigration issues.
- Use Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) or Border Patrol agents as interpreters.
- Share your personal information, like your home address, with ICE or Border Patrol, unless it’s publicly available.
If local law enforcement arrests you, they can’t:
- Hold you in jail for extra time
- Let ICE agents interview you without your written consent. You have the right to refuse the interview and to remain silent.
- Give ICE agents info about your release or transfer.
Remember! You always have the right to remain silent. (This is not meant to be legal advice)
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER CALIFORNIA WELFARE PROGRAMS
All organizations providing public benefits, should respect your rights.
- You have the right to an interpretor
- Full explanation of your benefits- oral or written
- Get a copy of your case records
- Get a receipt for the documents you submit
- Be treated with respect and no discrimination
- Have your information be confidential
- You can ask a judge to review your case about any decision by the county about your eligibility or benefits.
- Understand what is going on with your case
- File a complaint if you feel you have been discriminated against.
- If discrimination affects your benefits or eligibility, you can ask for a state’s hearing.
To know more about your immigration rights or to read know your rights cards in a different language, check out the info on the ACLU’s website
IF YOU ARE FACING A LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY, CALL 911
For support and services call SAHARA at 562-402-4132
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
24 Hour Toll-Free Helpline
If you would like to know more about SAHARA or help us continue to provide these services, please give us a call at 562-402-4132 or contact us.
Community of support
Keep up-to-date on SAHARA News, Events & Community Support