SAHARA is a community-based organization and services are provided at our main office a kind of a drop-in center located in the heart of Artesia which is also called “Little India.” Artesia boasts of a large South Asian population and is easily accessible to clients living in the area.
Although SAHARA’s services are available to all community members regardless of race and ethnicity, one of the organization’s key strengths is its capacity to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate services to individuals from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Bhutan, collectively referred to as South Asians. The multilingual and bicultural staff and volunteers enable the organization to offer linguistically appropriate services to speakers of multiple South Asian languages.
In addition to English. SAHARA’s clientele is South Asian (95%), Latino (2%), and other ethnicities (3%). The multilingual and bicultural SAHARA staff offers linguistically appropriate services to speakers of Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, Gujarati, Urdu in addition to English.
All of SAHARA’s materials and brochures can be found in these languages.
SAHARA’s goal is to serve the growing community of South Asians in Southern California by providing them with information, referrals, skills development and other culturally sensitive support services needed to meet the unique challenges they face. and also to deal with the personal crises of survivors of domestic violence.
SAHARA’S current services include the following:
- Toll-free 24-hour Crisis Helpline
- Emergency response to calls from law enforcement
- Drop-in Center for domestic violence support services on a walk-in basis
- Shelter/Transitional Housing for domestic violence victims and their children
- Emergency food, clothing, transportation, shelter
- Case Management
- Counseling and Mental Health Services for domestic violence victims and children
- Referrals for legal assistance with temporary restraining orders and custody disputes
- Court and Social Services Advocacy
- Family Support and financial assistance, household establishment assistance
- Referrals for social and health services and enrollment in Medi-Cal
- Life Skills Training, Therapeutic and Peer support groups
- Substance Abuse Counseling
- Senior Care Services including Health Benefits screening and enrollment
- Onsite Education Center for computer & financial literacy and employment assistance
- Citizenship Application Assistance
If you would like to know more about SAHARA or help us continue to provide these services, please give us a call at 562-402-4132 or contact us.
Community of support
Keep up-to-date on SAHARA News, Events & Community Support